Cook Time: 20 mins
2 boneless ribeye steaks, about 1 inch thick
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
4 sprigs fresh thyme
Salt and black pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1. Preheat the Cast Iron Skillet:
- Place your cast iron skillet on the stove over medium-high heat. Let it heat up for about 5 minutes until it's very hot.
2. Season the Steaks:
- Pat the steaks dry with paper towels to remove excess moisture. Season both sides generously with salt and black pepper.
3. Sear the Steaks:
- Add olive oil to the hot skillet. Carefully place the steaks in the skillet. Sear for 3-4 minutes on one side without moving them. This creates a nice crust.
- Flip the steaks and add minced garlic, rosemary, and thyme to the skillet. Spoon some of the hot oil and herbs over the steaks while they cook for an additional 3-4 minutes for medium-rare. Adjust the time based on your desired doneness.
4. Add Butter for Basting:
- Add butter to the skillet and let it melt. Tilt the skillet slightly so the butter pools to one side. Use a spoon to baste the steaks with the melted butter, garlic, and herbs for about 1-2 minutes. This adds rich flavor to the steaks.
5. Rest the Steaks:
- Remove the steaks from the skillet and transfer them to a cutting board. Let them rest for about 5 minutes. Resting allows the juices to redistribute, ensuring a juicy steak.
6. Slice and Serve:
- Slice the steaks against the grain into thick slices. Arrange them on plates, drizzling any remaining pan juices, garlic, and herbs over the top.
- Serve your garlic and herb cast iron skillet steak with your favorite side dishes and enjoy a restaurant-quality meal right at home!