Cook Time: 20 mins
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 yellow bell pepper, diced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground paprika
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust to taste)
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 can (400g/14 oz) crushed tomatoes
4-6 large eggs
Fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
Feta cheese, crumbled, for garnish (optional)
Crusty bread, for serving
1. Preheat the Cast Iron Skillet:
- Place your cast iron skillet on the stove over medium heat. Add olive oil and let it heat up.
2. Sauté Aromatics:
- Add chopped onion to the skillet and sauté until translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in minced garlic and cook for another minute until fragrant.
3. Add Peppers and Spices:
- Add diced red and yellow bell peppers to the skillet. Sauté until they begin to soften, about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in ground cumin, ground paprika, and cayenne pepper. Mix well to coat the vegetables , with the spices.
4. Simmer with Tomatoes:
- Pour in the crushed tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Stir the mixture, ensuring the spices are well incorporated.
- Let the sauce simmer for 10-15 minutes over medium-low heat until it thickens slightly.
5. Make Wells for Eggs:
- Create small wells in the sauce using a spoon. Gently crack the eggs into the wells. Cover the skillet and let it simmer for 8-10 minutes, or until the egg whites are set, but the yolks are still runny. Adjust the cooking time based on how you prefer your eggs.
6. Garnish and Serve:
- Garnish the shakshuka with chopped fresh parsley.
- Optionally, sprinkle crumbled feta cheese over the top for an extra burst of flavor.
- Serve the shakshuka directly from the cast iron skillet, family-style, with crusty bread on the side for dipping and scooping up the delicious sauce and eggs.
- Enjoy your flavorful and hearty shakshuka straight from the cast iron skillet, perfect for a satisfying breakfast, brunch, or dinner!